POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) : Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - interior scene test (90 kbu)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 14 Sep 2000 18:54:41
Message: <39C157EB.210EB232@unforgettable.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <39BFD14F.10320EA2@kivisalo.net>, Kari Kivisalo
> <kar### [at] kivisalonet> wrote:
>
> > The photosim feature requires one additional camera parameter:
> > exposure_time.
> > This will scale the maximum scene brightness along the transfer
> > curve. There could be an automatic feature to set the exposure time
> > by measuring the brigtness on certain spots on a scene just like in
> > the real cameras :) The scene would be rendered just once and stored
> > as floats and the photosim calculations would work on the float
> > values.
>
> This would be better done as a post_process filter(since that is exactly
> what it is). You could probably implement it with the existing add,
> multiply, subtract, divide, and exponent filters.

Uh.. no, it wouldn't. If you "photo" post-process an image with only 8
bits of luminance, you're going to end up with hideous round-off errors,
especially at the ends of the scale (if I've been reading this stuff right).

Besides, part of the problem is that POV-Ray is incapable of handling
scenes with high levels of contrast which are meaningful to the human
eye. If it can't generate this much contrast - even algorithmically,
before it ever puts pixel to screen - then how can it possibly extract
an accurate simulation from the crippled data?

You could fake it, maybe, if you did enough tweaking.. but if I'm going
to spend thirty hours trying to make something look more realistic, I'd
rather spend that time on textures or modeling than playing with PP settings.

-Xplo